Sunday, October 5, 2008

Catholics for Choice

I came across this website tonight: http://www.catholicsforchoice.ca/

I find it very interesting.. one of the main issues I have with the anti-abortion movement is their means of protesting. I believe that it is every person's right to make their opinion heard but I don't agree with these protesters using their young children to hold sign like "abortion kills babies" when I seriously doubt these three year olds have formed their own well-informed decision on the topic. Every time I see this I want to ask one of the kids if they know what abortion truly is and why some women seek them. Maybe I am generalizing but I cannot see each one of these parents sitting their toddlers down and explaining to them this situation.

This group I found includes this in their "about us" section:

"The Toronto Catholic District School Board, following the Vatican's lead, has decided to end support to UNICEF (the United Nations Children's Emergency Fund) at Halloween. Instead of allowing trick-or-treating children to carry UNICEF boxes, the Toronto Catholic School Board agreed to allow the children to carry boxes to collect money for "Aid to Women". CFFC-Canada denounced this move, and exposed "Aid to Women" as an anti-abortion group whose members harass and intimidate girls and women who try to enter a legal abortion clinic in downtown Toronto. The name "Aid to Women" is misleading and without the information provided by CFFC-Canada, people donating at Halloween may have thought that the money was to go to a women's shelter. Indeed many principals and teachers at Catholic elementary schools were of the same mistaken belief."


I'm glad that there are people willing to speak out against the main beliefs held by their religion, even when coming from the top (i.e. the Vatican). It is important for me to remember while I work on this project not to see people only as the group they belong to and to know that not everyone in a group shares the uniform ideas. I have to admit though that I am a little skeptical of a Catholic group being fully pro-choice but from what I have seen on this website it seems to be a good and interesting step forward for the church, even if it is just a select few from such a large and conservative religion.

No comments: